db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: proposed modification current test harness (Re: DERBY-575)
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:56:38 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
[snip conversation about how to

>the counter is with your solution how do they generate a
>master file suitable for submitting as part of a contribution? I'm not
>sure there is a good solution.

I see nothing wrong with leaving test development on OS390 as another
fish to fry,  and  I think in general Myrna's plan is a good one if I
understand it correctly.   Generally we agree on an encoding for master
files, sql files etc and always check in files in that encoding.  Then
the corresponding files under the test output directory are always in
the native encoding making tests easy to run and failures easy to
diagnose.

To me what is a little fuzzy to me is the agreed input encoding for the
sql and master files, especially for languages like Japanese that are
not going to conform to ISO 8859-1.  What would seem to make sense to me
would be ISO 8859-1 with escape sequences like the common  property file
format  in Java
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#load(java.io.InputStream).

That way you could run native2ascii on whatever platform you were
working with if you had special  characters in the text to get the
desired master file.  Does specifying an input encoding  of ISO 8859-1
read in the escaped  sequences properly, or do you need to specify
something else?

Kathey