db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: SQL functions, procedures and PSM - a possible approach
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:27:45 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Right... Allowing SQL procedures/functions would also help ODBC, .NET
and PHP developers. They may not know how to program in Java and it
would nice to not force them, even to do simple things like multiple
statements in a trigger.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Rick Hillegas wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi Dan,

This is pretty cool. I have to say, though, I would need some heavy
motivation before embarking on implementing SQL/PSM. IMHO, Java is more
expressive, more powerful, and better designed than SQL/PSM. Java is
better defined and less ambiguous. Moreover, I suspect that Java code is
more portable than vendor-specific dialects of SQL/PSM. In short, I
think Java is a superior dbproc language.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I agree, Java is a powerful language that does allow integration of all
manner of things with Derby, such as Java mail, James, lucene, Jython,
Groovey etc. I think however your perspective is that of a Java
developer (and as a Java developer myself I agree with you).

&gt;From the point of view of a SQL developer though, it's not the same. In
order to write a simple function I have to:

   1) write Java code
   2) compile the class
   3) put into a jar file
   4) install it into Derby
   5) create the function

Or if I did the same in SQL, I would have to

   1) create the function.

Similar issues exist for multiple statements in a trigger, again Derby
forces them to write Java code. I know folks are interested in using
Derby who know nothing about Java and don't want to know anything about
Java. They just want a quality data server.

I think there is a place for both Java and SQL functions etc., the
developer can pick the right tool for the right job.

Dan.

  </pre>