db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: updatable resultSet
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:30:29 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

>Hi Veaceslav,

>Veaceslav>
>Veaceslav> it's about simple tables, with text, numeric fields
>Veaceslav> I want to scoll and change rows,
>Veaceslav>
>Veaceslav>
>Veaceslav> rezults conform to isolation levels
>
>In the example you provided in the bug you filed
>(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-605), you used
>TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE. This would give extra isolation (think
>snapshot), in addition to that provided by SQL's isolation
>levels. Actually, SQL prohibits insensitive scrollable cursors in
>combination with update, although JDBC allows it, because some vendors
>support it. Sensitive result sets makes changes made by other
>transactions visible in the result set. If you just want the isolation
>provided by SQL, you would want to use TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE.
>
>For Derby, we will probably want to build sensitive (first), to be SQL
>compliant.
>
>Dag

DERBY-605 currently seems to combine several issues and its summary is
not that descriptive of  what needs implementation.
I wonder should we have multiple  Jira entries that match the
functionality that needs implementation, one  for scrollable ResultSets
for large objects with  client, another for updatable ResultSets for
large objects with client,  etc.    Dag what are the various issues that
you see here, and how would you recommend breaking them up in Jira?

FYI, here is the doc page with the differences between client and
embedded for  updatable ResultSets.
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/radminappsresultsetdiffs.html

Kathey