db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: SQL functions, procedures and PSM - a possible approach
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 00:57:17 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> This is pretty cool. I have to say, though, I would need some heavy
> motivation before embarking on implementing SQL/PSM. IMHO, Java is more
> expressive, more powerful, and better designed than SQL/PSM. Java is
> better defined and less ambiguous. Moreover, I suspect that Java code is
> more portable than vendor-specific dialects of SQL/PSM. In short, I
> think Java is a superior dbproc language.

I agree, Java is a powerful language that does allow integration of all
manner of things with Derby, such as Java mail, James, lucene, Jython,
Groovey etc. I think however your perspective is that of a Java
developer (and as a Java developer myself I agree with you).

>From the point of view of a SQL developer though, it's not the same. In
order to write a simple function I have to:

   1) write Java code
   2) compile the class
   3) put into a jar file
   4) install it into Derby
   5) create the function

Or if I did the same in SQL, I would have to

   1) create the function.

Similar issues exist for multiple statements in a trigger, again Derby
forces them to write Java code. I know folks are interested in using
Derby who know nothing about Java and don't want to know anything about
Java. They just want a quality data server.

I think there is a place for both Java and SQL functions etc., the
developer can pick the right tool for the right job.

Dan.