db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dag H. Wanvik" <Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:53:40 GMT

Hi Dan,

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:

Daniel> > 8. Updatable, scrollable result sets
Daniel> >
Daniel> > We (Fernanda, Andreas and I) are making progress on making the
Daniel> > scrollable (insensitive) result sets updatable, stay tuned.
Daniel>
Daniel> That's great.
Daniel>
Daniel> Being curious, may I ask why this is not being developed on the list?
Daniel>
Daniel> Open source means the development, design etc. are hashed out on the
Daniel> list, not in private e-mails/meetings.

:) I fully agree with you. Being new to Derby we have spent some time
trying to understand the code base, doing experiments etc in order
build sufficient understanding of the problem, to avoid spamming you
all with too many silly newbie questions. I am now in the process of
making a proposal which will be posted on the list shortly. I very
much hope for active participation from all interested parties, so we
can head in the right direction from the start with the
implementation.

Dag

PS! We discussed the balance of openness/noise ratio on the dev list
even earlier today given the amount of traffic, in order to strike the
right balance and I made the same point you are making here; I guess
we are all still learning the open source way ;-)