db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dag H. Wanvik" <Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: updatable resultSet
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:44:38 GMT

Hi Veaceslav,

>>>>> "Veaceslav" == Veaceslav Chicu <cs@infologic.fr> wrote:
Veaceslav>
Veaceslav> it's about simple tables, with text, numeric fields
Veaceslav> I want to scoll and change rows,
Veaceslav>
Veaceslav>
Veaceslav> rezults conform to isolation levels

In the example you provided in the bug you filed
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-605), you used
TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE. This would give extra isolation (think
snapshot), in addition to that provided by SQL's isolation
levels. Actually, SQL prohibits insensitive scrollable cursors in
combination with update, although JDBC allows it, because some vendors
support it. Sensitive result sets makes changes made by other
transactions visible in the result set. If you just want the isolation
provided by SQL, you would want to use TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE.

For Derby, we will probably want to build sensitive (first), to be SQL
compliant.

Dag

Veaceslav>
Veaceslav> best regards,
Veaceslav> Slavic
Veaceslav>
Veaceslav>
Veaceslav> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
Veaceslav> > Looks like we are talking about two different issues. I meant to reply
Veaceslav> > to another thread that asked about scrollable cursors and large objects:
Veaceslav> >
Veaceslav> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200510.mbox/%3c4342312E.600@nuix.com.au%3e
Veaceslav> >
Veaceslav> > Satheesh
Veaceslav> >
Veaceslav> > Veaceslav Chicu wrote:
Veaceslav> >
Veaceslav> >>DERBY-605
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>maybe someone can reformulate this
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>I tried in embeded mode it doesn't scroll and update
Veaceslav> >>I have not much free time now, I can help testing
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>Slavic
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>>I am also willing to help anyone interested in enhancing Derby to
Veaceslav> >>>support this.
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>Kathey Marsden wrote:
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>>Currently, we do not have large object locators  (DERBY-208)
and I think
Veaceslav> >>>>that is a prerequisite for this feature.
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>While adding large object locators would be a great thing for Derby,
Veaceslav> >>>wondering if there is any way to implement this without locators.
Since
Veaceslav> >>>embedded driver is able to support scrollable cursors with large
Veaceslav> >>>objects, would it be possible to expose this through network
Veaceslav> >>>server/client, even if large objects need to be materialized on
the
Veaceslav> >>>client? I am willing to help enhance Derby Client side, which may
be the
Veaceslav> >>>easy part. :-)
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>Large object locators have many other usages too, so these are good
Veaceslav> >>>consider at sometime.
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>Satheesh
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>>Large objects are
Veaceslav> >>>>materialized on the client which is a big issue and not just
for for
Veaceslav> >>>>scrollable cursors.
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>Kathey
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav> >>
Veaceslav>
--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Web Services, Database Technology Group

information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.