db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dag H. Wanvik" <Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: updatable resultSet
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:34:04 GMT
>>>>> "Kathey" == Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Fernanda and I have started looking at this feature. If anybody is
interested on working on it with us, we'd welcome any help :)

At the outset, we would appreciate to hear of any obstacles (other
than locators) people may know about. Apart from the client/server
aspect, what aspect would likely be more challenging in embedded
Derby? Would adding insert to forward-only result sets be a useful
step in the right direction? In contrast to read-only scrollable
result sets, updatable result sets must be sensitive (changes by other
transactions are seen), so the current solution for scrollability
may not be what we need (?).

Dag

Kathey> Sure there is a chance.  As Dan always says,  it's software, we can do
Kathey> anything we want.  All we need is someone to do the work.   I am not
Kathey> sure even if there is a  Jira entry for this one even though it is
Kathey> listed as a limitation in the documentation,  so checking Jira and
Kathey> filing an issue if it is not there, would be an excellent place for you
Kathey> to start.  If you are not quite prepared to implement this feature
Kathey> yourself,  also very helpful would be to  identify existing tests  or
Kathey> write new ones which run against embedded and can be used to test this
Kathey> feature and at least start researching an implementation strategy.   I
Kathey> bet there are other folks who are interested in this feature that might
Kathey> be willing to help out if you get the ball rolling.
Kathey>
Kathey> Currently, we do not have large object locators  (DERBY-208) and I think
Kathey> that is a prerequisite for this feature.   Large objects are
Kathey> materialized on the client which is a big issue and not just for for
Kathey> scrollable cursors.
Kathey>
Kathey> Kathey
Kathey>
Kathey>
--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Web Services, Database Technology Group

information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.