db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc bug?] saving ij output to a file
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:42:12 GMT
On 9/8/05, Jeff Levitt <derby@mylevita.com> wrote:

> --- Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You're right, this does not work. What does work is
> > redirecting, of course,
> > like so:
> > syntax:
> > java
> > -Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
> > org.apache.derby.tools.ij <myscript.sql> >
> > <myoutput.txt>
> > example:
> > C:\derbytest>java
> > -Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
> > org.apache.derby.tools.ij createderbydb.sql >
> > output.txt
> > Or, as you said, using ij.outfile:
> > java
> > -Dij.outfile=output.out
> > -Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
> > org.apache.derby.tools.ij createderbydb.sql
> >

> Ah good, so should the JIRA entry I create for this
> simply call for adding the redirect character (>) to
> the syntax in the documentation?

 Yes, I think so. Theoretically, I guess, it would be nice to have the
output sort of work like the input, but I think it is enough to have the doc
reflect the actual behavior.
 I also noticed that the redirection character is missing from the input
line, as a result, the examples for the first two bullets on the page look
the same.
Thus, this is what needs to change on that page:
 - 2nd bullet on page, 'Redirect standard input to come from a file', the
example should be:

java -Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
    org.apache.derby.tools.ij < <*myscript.sql*>

- 5th bullet on page, 'By redirecting to a file', the example should be:

java -Djdbc.drivers=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
    org.apache.derby.tools.ij <*myscript.sql*> > <*myoutput.txt*>

Myrna