db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:09:02 GMT
Copying common classes to specific (tier) packages does sound good -
However, it is true that there could be confusion during development and
debugging if the engine and client common classes are not up to date (did
not get re-generated) and if some developers do not necessarily understand
how the 'common' package is managed in the codeline. I guess this is true
for some other packages we have but this one is going to be fairly visible
due to the fact we are sharing code functionality here between 2 tiers.

Due to the requirement of supporting a different version of the derby client
and server in the same JVM, it's not like there are a lot of other and
simpler alternatives out there indeed...Am guessing we're not going to
support the loading of 2 different DerbyClient versions in the same
JVM...(although one could envision db2jcc.jar and DerbyClient.jar running in
the same JVM...we should not be seeing any conflict if the package structure
is different)

View raw message