db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:09:02 GMT
Copying common classes to specific (tier) packages does sound good -
However, it is true that there could be confusion during development and
debugging if the engine and client common classes are not up to date (did
not get re-generated) and if some developers do not necessarily understand
how the 'common' package is managed in the codeline. I guess this is true
for some other packages we have but this one is going to be fairly visible
due to the fact we are sharing code functionality here between 2 tiers.

Due to the requirement of supporting a different version of the derby client
and server in the same JVM, it's not like there are a lot of other and
simpler alternatives out there indeed...Am guessing we're not going to
support the loading of 2 different DerbyClient versions in the same
JVM...(although one could envision db2jcc.jar and DerbyClient.jar running in
the same JVM...we should not be seeing any conflict if the package structure
is different)

--francois