db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing code
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:36:08 GMT
This issue reminds me of the database deadlocks issue - you can't completely
get rid of them but you can do a good job at preventing/reducing them...

I think it has been proposed before but can't we have the very first class
of the network Client driver and Server check for a legitimate/compatible
version of the common classes (package) via a Version class and a static
method being passed the caller's version number - this can be done with a
static block early on on the ClientDriver class for instance (for the client
part) - The common Version class could have a compatibilty table (matrix) if
we need more advanced compatibility check computations...If the common
package is compatible (based on the compatibility table) then all is fine,
otherwise a (runtime) exception is raised in ClientDriver. I do _not_ think
we need to check for all interfaces as long as we preliminary checked on
Version.checkIfCompatible(versionNumber) early on via the static block - I
think we could assume that if you get the proper Version class from the
common package and it is compatible, then the rest of the common interfaces
should be compatible as well since they would get loaded in the same order
as the common Version class which has been identified as (version)
compatible. Sure people could come up with twisted scenarios shooting
themselves in the foot, but at the end I think we want to be able to address
the majority of the cases/situations...just some more thoughts...

--francois