db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Class/Method Header in source code
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 19:37:36 GMT
What's the current policy in respect with coding standards in Derby?

I would like to suggest that there is an extra efforts in commenting source
code and in particular class headers which are not there in lots of classes.

Due to the nature of Open Source, it is not like there are a lot of design
documents lying around - providing a description of what a class does (does
not have to be a novel) would be benefitial im my opinion (especially for
large ones). Class headers make it to javadoc if properly formatted.

On the same subject, providing decent comments to methods and variables
would be greatly benefitial as well. I'm hoping reviewers can check on these
nd suggest additional comments if needed.

You can see some formatting examples under the following packages (amongst
other places):
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.authentication

Not sure if this has to go through a vote or not. Maybe it has already been
done already. Would love to see something around this being specified
somewhere in the Derby community contributing area.

Thanks,

--francois