db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JUnit license, was: subversion etiquette]
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:38:40 GMT
> Oh bother, said Pooh.. We'd like to write assertion-based tests. What do
> folks think we should do:
>
> o Ask JUnit to license itself under the Apache license.
>
> o Use some other assertion-based test framework. Any suggestions?

Well, there is TestNG:

http://testng.org/doc/
https://testng.dev.java.net/

It's licensed under the Apache License, is hosted at java.net, and is
a part of the OpenSymphony project. It's also got some nifty features,
like demarcating test methods using javadoc comments or JDK 1.5
annotations, and it runs Junit tests 'out-of-the-box' (or so it says,
I haven't tried it). It's also geared towards supporting different
kinds of testing and is not strictly targeted at unit testing.

The downside is that it doesn't support JDK 1.3, and I'm guessing it
doesn't support J2ME either (but then neither does Junit). It might
not be the choice for the short term, but maybe we should give it some
consideration for the long term, since I believe there's agreement
that 10.3 will no longer support JDK 1.3.

andrew