db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: 10.1 snapshot
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:29:32 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I  am getting ready to post a snapshot for 10.1 and have a couple questions.
> 1) What should the  README file say.
> Right now the README says we are in incubation on both the trunk and
> 10.1 and doesn't seem to have much else in the way of content.  What
> should it say now?
> Derby is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software Foundation
> (ASF), sponsored by the Apache DB project. Incubation is required of all
> newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the
> infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized
> in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
> status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of
> the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by
> the ASF.

A slightly re-worded text of the announcement is a possibility for 10.1

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project.
You can find Derby on the web at:

Apache Derby releases can be downloaded from the following page:

Derby is a pure Java, standards-based relational database engine.
Derby aims to be an easy to use solution for data management for
software developers with zero administration for end users.

The 10.1 release includes a new open source network client driver, as
well as a number of other new features and enhancements:

    * Support for J2ME/CDC/Foundation with JSR-169 JDBC subset
    * Online compress functionality for reclaiming disk space during
    * XA support for Network Server
    * Increased identifier lengths to 128 characters for all identifiers
    * Added SQL: SYNONYM
    * JDBC Updatable Result Sets
    * ORDER by expressions
    * Allow insertions into an identity column
    * Support for explicit Java method signature in function and
procedure definitions

See the CHANGES file in the distributions for a full list of other changes.

> 2)  Anyone have any objections to removing these two snapshots to avoid
> confusion.
> Speak up or they're gone. http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
> *Version 10.1 alpha incubator snapshot*
> *Version 10.0 incubator snapshot*

I wonder if while you are there, you could expand/clarify the role of
the snapshot. The current text is

'The snapshots listed below, including the Eclipse plug-in, contain
Derby jars that aren't part of an official Derby release.'

Maybe replace with something like, feel free to reword:

'Snapshot jars provide early access to bug fixes and/or features but are
not offical release jars. Snapshots usually have passed functional tests
on a couple of platforms.'

View raw message