db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.1.2 Release status page
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:17:17 GMT
TomohitoNakayama wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I feel it strange that version number was decreased between rc-X and
> released version ......

I don't think we ever decrease the version.  In Dan's example "10.1.2.2
bumped after rc2"   means that  the version on the branch was bumped
after  rc2 was made and  is done in preparation for the next release.
rc2 was version 10.1.2.1 and would be released as is if accepted  as the
official release.

> I think fourth (really meant third)  version number should be
> increased when program was officialy released , because rc-X is not
> yet program of the version officialy acknowledged .

In general we bump the version when the work begins, so for example we
bumped the trunk to 10.2 right after 10.1 branched to mark that the
version as shown by sysinfo is 10.2 work under progress.

If the last digit indicates an  external release of jars (snapshot,
release candidate, or release), then we bump it right after each post to
the website, to indicate we are working on the next external release.

Since our third digit represents only that this is a bug fix release and
more testing has been done, then it makes sense to me bump it just
before the release candidate is made to mark the beginning of testing.

Kathey