db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: 10.1.2 Release status page
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:01:49 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Ole Solberg wrote:
>
>> I now put snapshots of our nightly builds used for regression testing on
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/snapshots/ .
>

> Hi, Ole,
>
> I think it's terrific for you to provide these. Just one caveat. After
> attending Cliff Schmidt's session at ApacheCon on "Licensing: What Every
> Apache Committer Should Know", I think we need to be careful about using
> the Apache logo on websites outside Apache unless we have obtained
> explicit permission from the ASF to do so. Cliff went to some trouble to
> explain that while the ASL 2.0 license allows free redistribution of
> software, the same does not hold for trademarks and logos. Usage of
> those require explicit permission.

Right, the logo's make the pages look like official ASF pages, but they
are not. They are pages provided by Sun Microsystems (or is it Ole
Solberg?).

Which leads me to the statement on the pages that says:

"Derby is intended to be the Java alternative to low-cost open source
databases."

I'm troubled by that, I don't see anything in the Derby charter that
leads to that statement, and "Derby is intended" is strange, Derby is a
lump of Java code, I don't think it has intentions. The first statement
you have is fine "Derby is an open source, 100% Java SQL Database",
that's factual and in line with the charter.

Now it may be that you or your employer has that intention for Derby,
and that's an acceptable thing to have on such a page.

 E.g. <company> intends Derby to to be the Java alternative to low-cost
open source databases.

[don't want to put the real name there cause it might get quoted and I
have no idea if that would be a true statement or not].

As Jean said, it's great to have these nightly builds and tests, and we
can link to them from the ASF Derby site, but the links need to say

   testing results kindly provided by Sun Microsystems

   nightly builds kindly provided by Sun Microsystems

Thanks,
Dan.