db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Require JUnit jar to build Derby, was: JUnit license, was: subversion etiquette
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:20:24 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose that we include JUnit as part of the required
>> toolkit for Derby developers. Going forward, this will allow
>> developers to write assertion-based tests. For the moment, this will
>> not change the existing test harness.
>>

> +1 with the caveat that it works in all the environments we need (and I
> don't see yet why it won't). JUnit is a well understood harness used by
> many projects (and support is actually built into Maven).

+1 [to the original proposal]

I'm not so sure that Jeremy's caveat is valid, though I agree it is
strongly desirable. The big question is really who is 'we' in the 'all
environments we need'? I need to run Derby on IBM's z-series, but my
guess is that Rick doesn't. I don't think any Derby patch/commit should
require running tests on all platforms Derby has ever run on, especially
as most people will not have access to them.

I see it as Rick (and others) are providing new tests for Derby, that's
a good thing, even if, as they provided them, they only worked on (say)
Linux and Solaris. It seems better to have the ability to run these
tests to improve/maintain the quality of Derby than not to have them.
If I care about running the new tests on z-series, then that's my itch
to scratch.

I think the caveat is really that any such checkin should not cause a
regression, namely derbyall does run on a number of platforms with its
current set of tests. It would be a regression if a new testing scheme
stopped my current ability to run the *existing* tests on z-series or
any other platform where the tests run today.

Of course it would be good to document which platforms Derby is running
tests sucessfully on, seems like a good wiki page.

Dan.