db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:41:12 GMT

Francois Orsini wrote:
> I think you meant 'org.apache.derby.common' in your examples.

Yes, thanks.

> Now, if the common package versioning is well automated as part of
> generating a new release, then it is probably ok to have a new version
> being generated for every release.
>
> Are you thinking that we would always see 'org.apache.derby.common' in
> the source tree and that the common pkg version suffix would only be
> added when a (new) release gets generated?

Well, this is a good question, if you're asking about what should the
package name be in the trunk.  Yes, I suppose it could just be
'org.apache.derby.common' and the rename happens only when a branch is
made for a release.  I am trying to think if this would cause any issues
for people pulling the nightly builds -- I can't think of any, unless
people try to mix versions from old and new nightly builds, in which
case I think they're really on their own :)

An alternate approach is to do the rename on the trunk just prior to
making the branch, so the trunk package name always matches the most
recent release branch.  But this doesn't seem as clean...

David