db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:37:27 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> When a jar is sealed, classes cannot be loaded from multiple if the
> package they are in is sealed. You can unseal specific packages, so
> that's less of an issue than for signed jars. I believe attempting to
> load the same class from different jars if the jars are signed will
> cause a SecurityException, but I'm not well versed in the ins and outs
> of signed jars.

I think signing and sealing are independent concepts.

If a class has been loaded from a signed jar, then it won't be loaded
again from any jar (within the same class loader), so I don't think
there can be any exception there.

A sealed package means that all classes within that package must be
loaded from the same jar. I assume this is true for a single
classloader, not across the vm.

Dan.