db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:51:05 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Rather than address this ourselves (and just for Derby) by convoluted
> code-rewrites and avoidance of third party libraries we should
> encourage the application providers avoid this entirely by exhibiting
> discipline when using shared resources

You have an extremely important point  Jeremy.   I think as with any
discipline issue, education is key.  We need to make mixed versions
truly be the edge case that we all want it to be.  Once that is the
case,  it is going to provide us with much more flexibility.  What I
need as a person who talks to users and support folks all the time is a
good document and hopefully an example of what what  developers should
do to make sure their application load  the copy of Derby that they want
even if they find themselves in a JVM with another instance of  Derby
loaded by the classpath or if they use a component that might use
another version of Derby.

I think the discipline that we want to be able to  expect is not
mentioned at all in our documentation and we need to focus on educating
our users on exactly what to do.   Would you be willing to write
something up that we could put in the documentation or provide a white
paper?     Helping the Users do the right thing might untie the hands of
the Engineers so they can make the Product better sooner.

Kathey