db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:56:26 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Note that the main reason these customers want to run with different
> versions, as I understand it, is so that they can run with a version of
> the client that matches the server version.  If we can guarantee
> compatibility between client and server versions (so, for instance, you
> can upgrade the server without having to upgrade the clients, or vise
> versa), does this requirement goes away?

No.

Client/server compatibility is good, and soft upgrade is good, and all
help in the area of reducing version compatibility problems.

But I'm not saying anyone *wants* to mix versions, rather that they end
up mixing versions through circumstances.

I'm assuming worst case, end-user A knows nothing about Java, and is
using applications from vendor B (client at version 10.2) and vendor C
(engine at version 10.3).

Dan.