db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:14:19 GMT
I think Dan has really hit the nail on the head.  All debate will
quickly stop if we reach consensus that it's not acceptable to break
compatibility (it's not really a regression, we never had this
constraint on ordering before) in this way as part of a minor release
(e.g. 10.1 to 10.2).

I don't know the environment that the customers who depend this on work
in.  I don't know how flexible they can be to ordering how jars are
loaded.    It's really hard for us to answer this without their input.
Could those of us who have these customers possibly talk to them and
discuss this and understand what their constraints are?  I think it's
reasonable to document this for future customers; I don't personally
think it's a major usability issue, the vast majority of users will work
with a single version of Derby in a given VM.

Note that the main reason these customers want to run with different
versions, as I understand it, is so that they can run with a version of
the client that matches the server version.  If we can guarantee
compatibility between client and server versions (so, for instance, you
can upgrade the server without having to upgrade the clients, or vise
versa), does this requirement goes away?  I know at Sybase we never had
this issue because the TDS protocol allowed you to negotiate the version
of the protocol you were going to run at -- the server knew how to
"downgrade" its protocol support if it needed to.  This type of
negotiation and compatibility guarantee is something Rick Hillegas is
already working on...

Thanks,

David