db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <kat...@mtrad.com>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:03:05 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Kathy, thanks for your email.  The timing is actually pretty good,
> I was just talking with Francois trying to understand his concerns
> better.
>
> After quickly describing the two approaches, I'd like to summarize the
> experience/impact of these approaches from the perspectives of the end
> user, the developer/maintainer, and the test developer/runner.
>
> Goal:
>  - Reduce code duplication while continuing to support different
> versions of client and embedded driver in the same VM
>
> Approach 1:
>  - Create a common package and put all common code there
> (org.apache.derby.common)
>  - Use compatibility guidelines to ensure backward compatibility and
> some degree of forward compatibility
>  - Common classes are embedded in derby.jar and derby-client.jar
> (based on lots of negative feedback for having a separate jar)
>
> Approach 2:
>  - Create a common package and put all common code there
> (org.apache.derby.common)
>  - During build process, "clone" all common classes into at least two
> generated packages, one for the engine and one for the network client
> (org.apache.derby.engine.common and org.apache.derby.client.common).
>  - This approach avoids having to implement compatiblity
> guidelines/constraints and guarantees, as the engine and client
> continue to be fully isolated
>
> USER EXPERIENCE
>
> Approach 1
>  - No new jar files, everything looks the same
>  - For the vast percentage of users who don't mix versions in the same
> VM, everything works great
>  - For the small percentage of users who mix versions, the order in
> which jar files are loaded.  For example, if they want to use
> derby-10.2.jar and derby-client-11.0.jar, then if derby-10.2.jar is
> first in the classpath, they will get an exception saying that the
> client code is incompatible with the common code and that they need to
> re-order their jar files, whereas it will work fine if the order is
> reversed.
>
> Approach 2
>  - No new jar files, everything looks the same
>  - Ordering of jar files does not matter, everything works fine
>

> DEVELOPER EXPERIENCE
>
> Approach 1
>  - Pretty much as it is today, nothing surprising
>
> Approach 2
>  - When navigating code either during source browsing or debugging,
> they will see the *generated* common code, not the master common code.
>  - If a developer is not aware of how things work, or just forgets,
> he/she will try to edit this generated code, and will be confused and
> surprised when his/her changes disappear after a build
>  - Stack traces will point to generated code, and the developer will
> have to remember to translate that back to the master version.
>  - The generation process must be very careful not to adjust line
> [...]
Hi David,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.  From a usability
perspective, I would vote for approach 2.  Requiring a classpath to be
in a particular order is always an issue.  However, the saving grace is
that it sounds like the ordering issue only comes up if you mix versions
of the derby.jar and the derbyclient.jar in the same classpath.  I don't
believe most users put the client and engine in the same classpath
(unless there's a new requirement I don't know about), so that
definitely helps.  Requiring classpath in a specific order can easily
lead to complications though, so I'm not in favor of it in general.