db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: subversion etiquette
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:31:48 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>>Sometime soon I hope to checkin some JUnit-based tests for testing the
>>compatibility of our clients and servers. As part of this submission, I
>>want to checkin the JUnit jar itself (into tools/java alongside the
>>other jars). Is it ok for the svn diff to contain a big binary file like
>>this? Will this annoy/confuse reviewers? Is there a more polite way to
>>submit jar files?
>

> I'm not sure you can check Junit's jar into Apache's subversion
> repository due to its licence (CPL 0.5).
>
> http://junit.sourceforge.net/doc/faq/faq.htm#overview_7

Dan is correct; we cannot check CPL-licensed software/files into Apache.

For example, we couldn't check DITA Open Toolkit files into the derby
svn repository because it is under CPL. We discussed the issue with the
DITA OT developers and they additionally released it under the ASL 2 at
the end of August.

Discussions about various licenses pop up on this list:
  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/ .

-jean