db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <kat...@mtrad.com>
Subject Re: Modular build, was: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:07:17 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Well, we're at a bit of a standoff here.  What I'm looking for is a
> nail-in-the-coffin data point that would move us in one direction or
> the other.

I've been following this discussion with some interest as my background
is technical support.  In fact, I supported Cloudscape for the first 4
years (from release 1.0 of Cloudscape).  My experience is that
developers (particularly Java developers) really liked Cloudscape (now
Derby) because it was so easy to use and deploy.  And, I found
historically that one of the most common issues to come up were
classpath issues (in particular we got in trouble a few times when we
introduced something that caused the order of the jar files to be
important).  You should note that I'm not, and never have been, a Derby
developer, so I don't claim to be an expert on what's correct and best
from a development perspective.

I'm a bit concerned because I see a lot of discussion about what is good
from a derby development perspective, but not so much how these changes
may affect users of Derby.  Although some Derby users have complex
applications (like application servers), many are implementing much more
simple solutions.

Having said that, I'm a bit lost in what is being proposed from the
user/functional perspective.  David, as soon as you have a more concrete
proposal (may not be the time yet), can you post that information?
Could you  provide information on what the users of Derby will have to
do with this change (how would our documentation need to be changed) and
maybe footprint, performance, etc. impacts vs. the benefits  from making
this change.  I'd like to be able to provide my input from a
usability/documentation perspective.

In addition, I work on Derby now in the testing area, so I'd also like
to understand the implications for what additional testing might need to
be done.  If we create more jar files, is there more testing
requirements for different combinations?

Thanks,
Kathy