db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Side effects of quoting all column names in "CREATE TABLE" statement?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:30:58 GMT
Hi Jean,

I certainly agree that it could prove very frustrating to someone
banging ad hoc queries into a sql interpreter. However, it could work
for an application if all queries come out of a code generator. It
addresses the author's concern: it helps the engineer working in the sql
portability layer of the application who has to struggle with the fact
that reserved keywords vary among databases. It could also be useful for
an IDE which lets developers give columns descriptive names that include
illegal characters like spaces.

Just some random thoughts. :)

Cheers,
-Rick