db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DRDAServerStarter
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:06:54 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>
>> DRDAServerStarter  is there in support of the
>> derby.drda.startNetworkServer property, an easy way to embed network
>> server in your application when you start Derby.
>

> Given the drda code needs to be there for this to work, can we just
> move this functionality into the drda module (and hence derbynet)?

I am not sure of the issues with moving it.  I wonder, for instance,
would you still get reasonable error messages in the log if you set that
property and derbynet.jar wasn't in your classpath?    I am sure we
don't test for that because the DerbyNetAutoStart test depends on the
network server classes being in the classpath.   That said, it sounds OK
to  me if you want to move things around as long as it all still works #:)

> If I understand this correctly, there are two ways to start the
> network server:
> 1) create a NetworkServerControl with complete(*) control via code
> 2) use the properties and have it started by the monitor

That is correct.

Kathey