db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DRDAServerStarter
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:45:45 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> The NetworkServerControlImpl starts its server using a
> DRDAServerStarter which constructs a NetworkServerControlImpl via
> reflection. The DRDAServerStarter is in the engine tree, the
> NetworkServerControlImpl is in the drda tree.
>
> Can someone please give a little historical background here.
>
> What problems will we see if we simplify this so that all the network
> server code is located in the drda tree?

DRDAServerStarter  is there in support of the
derby.drda.startNetworkServer property, an easy way to embed network
server in your application when you start Derby.   It just starts
network server in another thread.   It needs to be in the engine code so
that  it is processed when you start Derby. Reflection is needed so
there is no dependency on the derbynet.jar in the build.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/radminconfigstartnetworkserver.html

The NetworkServerControl start api could launch it's own thread and
start network server without using DRDAServerStarter,  but just reuses
DRDAServerStarter since it is there.

Kathey