db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:41:15 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I would like to add a few comments to this very useful discussion:

[snip]

> (2) A possible solution was raised: instead of cloning the code in the
> source tree, clone it during the build process. I have written similar
> kinds of ant-based code pre-processors and can give some advice if we
> adopt this approach. Done right, it's a pleasant afternoon's work.
> However, I have reservations about this approach. It seems to me that it
> subverts the meaning of "common" code. To me "common" means "behaves the
> same way." It's not just a matter of preserving APIs that the compiler
> can check. It comes down to actually doing the same thing internally. As
> an example, consider a pair of encoding/decoding methods. You want the
> internal encoding/decoding logic to be the same everywhere. I don't
> think that build-time cloning saves us from the problem of having to do
> a run-time compatibility check.

Not sure what point you are making here, how does copying the code into
different packages change its behaviour?

With what ever approach, if the client is at version X and the
engine/network server at version Y then by definition the common code
will be different. Could be the same api, but maybe bug fixes in Y that
don't exist in X.

Dan.