db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:55:20 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I liked your idea of adding just the needed classes to the  existing
> jars.  The trick  is to find a way to get Derby to always load the class
> from the same jar file first, then no versioning is needed.
> Suddenly, creating  separate package namespaces for the common package
> in the jars as last step of the jar build doesn't seem so weird to me.

I've been thinking about suggesting that as well, e.g. the same code
would be generated into two source java files in two (etc.) packages:

org.apache.derby.engine.common
org.apache.derby.client.common

As I said in an earlier e-mail, you can share at many levels, a lot
depends on why you are sharing? Is it to reduce development effort,
reduce static/runtime footprint, add confusion for the user?

> Obfuscators rename packages all the time and are widely accepted.

And we already have generated code, so we handle that currently, ie. the
java files from the parsers.

> It could even happen as a special  releasejar target so it wouldn't
> confuse day to day development.

I don't agree with this, a single build process is much better, it
nmeans the normal development testing is in line with the released builds.

Dan.