db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Approach for sharing code
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 05:20:38 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I added a comment to DERBY-289
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-289) that is my official
> proposal for an approach to sharing code.
>
> I am including it in this email as well for easy reference.
>
> Please vote and/or comment on this proposal.

I'm a little confused on the versioning. Is the version number for a
common component in-line with the Derby version or independent? I was
assuming independent, but it seems from your examples that the versions
are in-line with the Derby version.

As an example, I imagine code for localization would be fairly static,
and the initial version may well remain unchanged until several Derby
releases from now (if ever). Thus I wouldn't expect the version number
of such common code to change on every Derby release.

Are you saying that all common code is at a single version, rather than
versions within the common code. Eg. I was imagining a version for
i18n/l10n code, another for say drda encoding, etc.

Dan.