db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Sharing code
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 05:12:34 GMT

Another argument against putting the common code in a separate jar (e.g.
derbycommon.jar) is that both the embedded driver and client driver will
be spread across two jar files. This is the case for the IBM DB2
Universal driver and while it was the only client for the Derby network
server, we had several complaints about the two jar files. This was
because several JDBC tools expect a driver to be in a single jar, e.g.
they pop up a dialog to allow you to specify the location for a single
jar. Folks worked around this by re-jarring the IBM driver into a single
jar, I do not think this is a good approach for Derby.

Dan.