db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sharing code
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 02:46:56 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> You or I might not, but I'm assuming the worst case where the end-user
> has no idea about classpath, or maybe even Java. They have just
> installed two applications, one which uses Derby client at version X and
> one which uses Derby embedded at version Y.

I would hope for that kind of environment the installer for each
application took care of separating the classpaths so the user was never
exposed to them. After all one could be using embedded X and the other
embedded Y with all sorts of unexpected consequences.

That, and nasty platform issues like the 256 char length, are why most
applications have evolved away from using the environment to solutions
like extension directories.

In many cases, applications /want/ to be able to load different versions
  concurrently, not just application servers and frameworks like Spring
or OSGI but also build tools like Ant or Maven and development tools
like Eclipse. None of these are able to use the traditional classpath alone.

Clarity in which jar is providing which class (once and only once)
greatly simplifies things. Users can use the capabilities of the
application (such as classloader hierarchies and ordering) to ensure
that the correct version is used for each component without risk of
cross-contamination between functions.

--
Jeremy