db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Sharing code
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:35:28 GMT
Given that the edge case we are talking about is where the user
intentionally wants to run the network client at a different rev than
the embedded client, it seems to me the user must know how to affect the
way the VM loads classes, otherwise they wouldn't be able to accomplish
this goal in the first place.

That aside, I really do see this as a laudable goal, but technically I
can not get my head around how a consumer can manage the logic of
working in a degraded mode.  What if, for example, there are versions
10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 of a service, each one with increasingly
extended capabilities.  Does every consumer of this service need to know
how to work with each of these versions?  It seems to me that you would
need pluggable versions of the consumer, one for each version of common
code. So you would have this cascading effect of reduced functionality
services stacked on top of each other, and ultimately wouldn't you end
up with the entire network driver or engine running at an old rev?
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having mixed versions running in the
same VM?

Thanks,

David