db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Bugs and 10.1.2 release
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 19:46:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I appreciate the desire to be cautious about  loaded words like
> "process". However, methinks it's worth hammering out "rules of
> engagement" whenever we have to scratch a collective itch. A release,
> for instance, is a collective itch. I think it would be reasonable for
> the Release Coordinator to publish their "rules of engagement" soon
> after accepting the job. The community can debate and amend these rules
> and, if the Release Coordinator doesn't like the conclusion, they can
> resign the post. In fact, the Release Coordinator can resign at any
> point if they feel they aren't getting the community support they need.

Apache release philosophy is not how you describe it, and is based upon
the http-server folks experience. The release is the itch of the Release
Manager and they did not accept a job that they can resign, they wanted
to be a Release Manager in order to produce a release. It's worth
reading their document, it forms the basis of the assumptions I make
when I've been replying to these discussions:

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

Of course, most time the community and the Release Manager are in
agreement so there's no issue.

Dan.