db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Sharing code
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:33:58 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, all.  Yes, it's your favorite topic.  :)

[snipped - good shared code proposal]

> The common classes will be placed into both derby.jar and
> derbyclient.jar.  When you have a classpath with a network client at one
> revision and the embedded driver at another revision, the jar with the
> highest revision should always go first,

The issue is how to enforce that. I think it's impossible to enforce
that or guarantee any class path ordering. Remember class path problems
are by far the leading cause of technical support calls related to Java
programs.

What it means is that the interface needs to have a version number that
can be obtained easily, and thus the caller must only use the interface
to the level offered. If a caller was written against version 3, but
only version 2 is available then it can only use version 2 functionality.

Dan.