db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bugs and 10.1.2 release
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:49:34 GMT
I am not clear how this has been done in the past: what is the process
for a contributor (who is not a committer) to get their patch into the
appropriate branches?  Do we depend upon the version that the bug was
reported in?  Should the contributor indicate what branches the patch
should be applied?  Is the contributor responsible for testing on each
branch and providing a separate patch for each branch?

As a followon, is there a common place where we can put policies and
procedures like this?  There is the Apache Way and the Apache DB Project
guidelines, but I think we need our own.  All I see so far is a link to
an email thread about applying patches.

Things I'd like to see described here include:

- How to submit a patch
- How to test a patch
- The issue I'm discussing here about what branches to apply patches to
- Our recommended criteria for a release
- Architectural policies like how to create a new service, how to use a
service, how to work with shared code (if/when we do this), how to throw
exceptions, etc.

If there are no objections, I'd be happy to get this started.  I'd love
to do this on a Wiki so it's easy for anyone to contribute.  How do we
feel about doing more stuff on our Wiki and not having to check
everything in through Forrest?

Thanks,

David