db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: How Do I Contribute? (Apache Derby Network Server Startup-Script for Linux [FC && RHEL])
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:03:13 GMT
Hi Peter,

Have you looked at the Derby web site?  Specifically under the Community tab there is a
'Get Involved' section that mentions how to contribute code or documentation.

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Contribute+Code+or+Documentation

If you have specific questions as you follow these guidelines, feel free to post again.

Your script sounds very useful!

Regards,

Susan

Peter J DiCrescenzo <peter@tempest-it.com> wrote:
Hello Apache Derby Developer Community!

I've recently started exploring the Derby database platform, and had been trying Derby out
in different configurations (app-embedded and container-embedded); ultimately, I'd wanted
to trigger an instance of Derby as a NetworkServer to allow for concurrent access by web applications
and separate clients on different machines.

I'd looked for (and found) a very simple script that would work in Fedora Core linux as a
chkconfig-managed /etc/init.d entity, but found that it didn't provide all the functionality
and configurability I was looking for.

Because of this, I'd ended up writing my own script that runs in FC4 (and should work in any
other RedHat-or-derivative Linux leveraging chkconfig, i.e. FC1-3, RHEL, RH9, et cetera) in
order to automatically and safely start and stop Derby as a NetworkServer instance on boot,
shutdown, or invocation, abstracting all of the options for JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH, the Derby
install directory, port number, thread min/max and timeslice, allowing for Derby to be started
in the user context of something other than root, et cetera.

I'd like to contribute this script to the community, but I'm also very new to the Apache Way;
what's the most direct way to get involved and contribute my script?

Peter DiCrescenzo
peter@tempest-it.com