db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Manish Khettry <manish.khet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jira question
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:51:03 GMT
I think using arbitrarily complex expressions to create indexes may be
overkill. Dan's idea of restricting expression indexes on function
calls on a single base column (actually one _or more_ base columns
shouldn't be that much harder) is probably better.

Isn't storing the expression text for a generated column also
problematic? I can think of a few other things
-- The expression will also have to be compiled and evaluated for DDL
like alter table (drop column)  possibly others.
-- We'll need a good way to check if two expressions are the same.
Obviously a textual comparison may not work. Making sure that two
expr's are the same is not trivial if we want to do it right-- say
(x+y) > 10 is the same as 10 < (y+x).

Manish