db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: platforms where Derby unit tests must run
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:17:20 GMT

> This situation could potentially improve as we migrate tests into an
> assertion-based framework. It's an issue to keep in mind as we write
> assertions.
>
> This raises another interesting issue:
>
> o What is a reasonable minimum test barrier for committers to apply when
> approving a patch?
>
> Is it enough for the committer to say: "Derbyall runs cleanly under
> jdk1.4 on my machine." Should a scrupulous committer also run Derbyall
> on J2ME? At this point there are 8+ vms where people expect the tests to
> run. And there may be a couple dozen operating systems. Clearly we have
> to draw some line between the committer's responsibility and the
> responsibility of the platform users. What's the gold standard for
> committing patches?
>
> I'm a bit unclear on our process for arresting test drift across useful
> platforms. Can someone point me at a description of what we do today?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

> > KAH> [...]

> also

> > KAH> Thanks, Deepa! I'll download it and try to get the tests running.
> >
> >In my opinion, it seems to be requiring a bit much, if a developer is
> >expected to download special VMs in order to be able to modify a
> >general test. Would it not be better to do this in cooperation with
> >someone who regularly runs on this VM?

Here is my 2 cents on it - falling nicely in with all the talk about itches
etc. :-) and based on *what I would do*.
If someone likes to support a certain jvm that is not 'standard', then it is
up to that person to ensure all possible canons are covered & run with that
jvm - *unless* the running of the test with another jvm actually exposes a
bug in derby.
 I'd expect *everyone* to at *least* run with jdk1.4.2, and if there is a
likelyhood of a difference in behavior, jdk1.5 by Sun.
I'd expect a fix if someone running with another jvm actually exposes a bug
in derby.
 I would expect someone who's updating a master file that has already canons
for other supported jvms to at least signal this to the list, and if
possible, modify that canon wih a manual effort (i.e. without running the
test with that jvm).
 Finally, more high-level goal, we should accomodate support for other jvms
in the tests and harness themselves, and avoid the need for canons.
 Does that sound reasonable?
 Myrna