db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: boolean type
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:40:28 GMT
On 8/9/05, Jeffrey Lichtman <swazoo@rcn.com> wrote:

> >This looks to me like an edge case. Rather than disable an entire
> >datatype, I'd recommend logging bugs on these edge cases. Unless
> >code archeology at IBM discloses some serious problem like data
> >corruption, I would recommend re-enabling the BOOLEAN datatype.
> >
> >-Rick
>
> I agree.
>
> I have looked at the parser, datatype code and JDBC implementation,
> and I don't see where anything is missing. Cloudscape used to have a
> full implementation of boolean before IBM disabled a bunch of
> features. This included the use of "?" parameters, boolean
> expressions, et al. It looks to me like all IBM did was put one line
> of code in the parser to prevent the use of the boolean type except
> for internal purposes. Unless I'm mistaken, it should be possible to
> completely re-enable the feature by eliminating that one line of code.
>
> The line of code is:
>
> checkInternalFeature(TypeId.BOOLEAN_NAME);
>
> in the dataTypeCommon() rule.
>
> - Jeff Lichtman
> swazoo@rcn.com
> Check out Swazoo Koolak's Web Jukebox at
> http://swazoo.com/
>
>   Yes, at IBM the Boolean type was disabled. I haven't done the
archeology, but disabling was not done because of some horrendous known bug
in this area.
 However, before someone undisables the lines identified by Jeff, I will
mention that more work than meets the eye went into it - at least into
adjusting the tests. Many of the tests are intended to test functionality
with every single datatype. When the Boolean datatype was disabled, all
these tests had to be modified and usage of Boolean is thus *nowhere* tested
anymore, and if reinstated, testing should be rewritten.
 Also, the derbyclient probably has no support for Boolean datatype.
 Myrna