db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <banda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: boolean type
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:42:18 GMT
Hi Lance,

I was saying Derby's implementation of JDBC support is not complete
for Boolean... For example, it may not be possible to prepare a
statement like 'Select * from t where ?' and pass Boolean type
parameter. So, I was just saying enabling boolean types is more
involved.

Satheesh

On 8/9/05, Lance J. Andersen <Lance.Andersen@sun.com> wrote:
> Satheesh,  can you provide an example WRT JDBC metadata as I do not see an
> issue there.
>
> more DB info:
>
> Sybase ASE and IAnywhere do not support boolean,  you can use bit.
> Pointbase supports  BOOLEAN
> Daffodil   supports BOOLEAN
> MySQL 4.1 and beyond supports BOOLEAN as a  TINYINT(1), that is it s a
> synonym
>

> Derby should have the support  externally visible.
>
> Regards
> Lance
>

> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
> I don't think all the support is there... Like using them in expressions
or
> JDBC metadata to name some.

Dan has a good point in the second link
> provided by Kathey. Here is the
current status of BOOLEAN support in other
> DBs, from that message:

 IBM DB2 UDB 7/8 - not supported
 Informix -
> BOOLEAN supported
 MySQL 4.0 - not supported
 Oracle 9/10 - not supported
> Postgres 7.4 - BOOLEAN supported
 SQL Server 2000 - not
> supported

Satheesh

Francois Orsini wrote:

> Boolean column type is ANSI SQL-99 - if support is already there
> and
assuming there is no known issues (none in JIRA at least), then it
would
> be good to see it back from the grave. Just IMHO.

On 8/8/05, Kathey Marsden
> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Slavic,

Thanks for bringing up this issue. Derby internally supports
> boolean
types but does not let users declare boolean typed columns. I
> have
logged an enhancment request (499) to track this issue. For the
moment,
> you can kludge around this problem by creating columns of type
CHAR(1).

> Maybe SMALLINT would be a good option for use with getBoolean(). A
value of
> 1 will return true.

Here are two relevant mails on this

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200412.mbox/%3c41C052AB.4050804@debrunners.com%3e