db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The name of the game....
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:02:59 GMT

On Aug 22, 2005, at 4:57 AM, Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

> What is the "official" name of Derby? The web-pages indicates that it
> could "The Apache DB Project Derby" or something like that in the
> header which sounds a bit awkward to me, or just "Derby" which isn't
> very informative if the reader/listener never has heard of Derby.

Derby is a part of the DB project. It's only following convention to
have the DB project logo as the primary logo on the web page. Check
out the other DB project's web pages. Derby is a subproject of the DB
project, so at one level Derby is "The Apache DB Project's Derby".

> Also, the next header on the web page says "The Apache Derby Project"
> which does not indicate thet this is a product for use, but a project
> to work on (One might think it's not finished yet.... ;-).

But it IS a project to work on. And it's not finished yet! ;-D

The Apache Derby project is the collection of webpages, mailing
lists, code, docs, bugs, and people that work on Derby. Since the web
is the primary portal for the outside world, it makes sense to me for
it to say "The Apache Derby project." But, I'm not against just
changing it to read "Apache Derby," because that's what a lot of
other projects use as their header: "Apache {insert project name here}".

Also,I think the fact that the downloads are labelled official
release and don't have milestone, or beta, or some other this-stuff-
isn't-finished-yet tag is enough to denote it's ready for use.

> Possibilities I see (both as "official name" and on the header of the
> web page): "Derby Database", "Derby RDBMS", "Apache Derby Database",
> "Apache Derby RDBMS". Any thoughts anyone? (Out of my list, I
> prefer "Apache Derby RDBMS")

I like just "Apache Derby." That distinguishes it from those horse
races or the town in England and it's short.

I've noticed that in press and on the web, it is often referred to as
"the Apache Derby database," so that it's clear what "Apache Derby" is.

just my 2 cents,
andrew