db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Lichtman <swa...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: boolean type
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:52:35 GMT

>This looks to me like an edge case. Rather than disable an entire
>datatype, I'd recommend logging bugs on these edge cases. Unless
>code archeology at IBM discloses some serious problem like data
>corruption, I would recommend re-enabling the BOOLEAN datatype.
>
>-Rick

I agree.

I have looked at the parser, datatype code and JDBC implementation,
and I don't see where anything is missing. Cloudscape used to have a
full implementation of boolean before IBM disabled a bunch of
features. This included the use of "?" parameters, boolean
expressions, et al. It looks to me like all IBM did was put one line
of code in the parser to prevent the use of the boolean type except
for internal purposes. Unless I'm mistaken, it should be possible to
completely re-enable the feature by eliminating that one line of code.

The line of code is:

checkInternalFeature(TypeId.BOOLEAN_NAME);

in the dataTypeCommon() rule.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 swazoo@rcn.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/