db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Lichtman <swa...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: jira question
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 05:09:54 GMT

>The expression used for the generated column must be stored in the
>data dictionary. Does derby serialize expressions? I was looking
>around in the classes in impl/sq/compile (ValueNode and such) and
>these classes don't seem to implement Formatable.

It would be better to store the expressions as text, and to parse and
bind them when needed. I learned the hard way while working on the
internals of other database systems that storing internal data
structures in the data dictionary causes trouble when the structures
change. Also, it's useful for users to be able to look at the text of
their DDL statements.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 swazoo@rcn.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/