db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Neubauer" <...@scancoin.se>
Subject SV: Driver30 where is it used?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:18:32 GMT
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the fast reply,
> Applications should not acceess the Driver20 or Driver30 classes
> directly, the public api is EmbeddedDriver and DriverManager (e.g.
> DriverManager.getConnection).
>
> Driver20 and Driver30 do not handle the network URL, only the
> embedded,
> thus they are required in derby.jar.
I understand that, but it seems that "jdbc:derby://localhost:9001/journaldb;create=true" is
returning the Driver30 for client applications that have derby.jar in their classloader. I'm
not sure of the specification but maybe the problem is that from the specification POV the
embedded URL syntax "jdbc:derby:journaldb;create=true" and the above new network client syntax
are the same?
In that case there is a problem that might be surface not only for me, since it seems that
from the JDBC specification, the first driver accepting a given connection URL has to be returned
to the asking client.

Not sure this makes sense, just want to stress the point that http://www.solarmetric.com/Support/Newsgroups/news/article.php?id_article=%3Cde5ek5%24ecp%241%40solarmetric.netmar.com%3E&grp_id=1
should not be able to happen since I used the network URL and you are saying the Driver30
is only handling embedded URLs?

/peter