db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject client/server compatibility testing
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:25:12 GMT
Here are some musings about testing the compatibility of clients and
servers across Derby versions and supported platforms.

Our servers need to interoperate with the following clients:

  Derby 10.2
  Derby 10.1
  Derby 10.0
  db2jcc

In turn, these clients need to interoperate with the following servers:

 Derby 10.2
 Derby 10.1
 Derby 10.0

Our clients and servers are platform sensitive . Based on the platform,
a client/server supports some JDBC rev level. I don't know about the
platform sensitivity of the db2jcc client. The supported platforms are:

  jdk1.3
  jdk1.4
  jdk1.5
  jdk1.6

NumberOfClients * NumberOfClientPlatforms * NumberOfServers *
NumberOfServerPlatforms = 192. This is a lot of combinations in which to
run a compatibility test suite. If the suite becomes fairly
comprehensive, you could imagine it taking 5 minutes to run. That's 16
hours for all combinations. It would be too burdensome to require all
combinations as part of the checkin barrier. The following sounds
reasonable to me:

o As part of the checkin barrier, derbyall should just test the
compatibility suite against a Derby client and server running at the
current level on the same jdk version.
o The full set of combinations can be run on a weekly basis by some
authority.
o The full set of combinations should be run as part of the release barrier.

Comments? Improvements?

Thanks,
-Rick