db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Sharing messages
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:07:58 GMT
Hi, all.  I am discovering that a lot of messages in the network client
driver are very similar to messages generated by the embedded driver.
Things like "Invalid parameter value ''{0}'' for
ResultSet.setFetchSize(int rows)." and "Negative or zero position
argument ''{0}'' passed in a Blob or Clob method." just as examples.

The simple thing to do of course is to have separate messages for the
network client.  But this would mean that these pretty much duplicated
messages would require duplicated translations as well, adding
unnecessary work to the translation effort.  The problem with sharing
messages, however, is that the engine's messages.properties file is
split up into multiple files; as I understand it, this is done in order
to reduce bloat of the engine image -- only the minimum number of
messages are loaded if an exception occurs, rather than all of them.  As
a result I would need to copy the engine infrastructure that loads these
multiple resource files into the client area.  More code duplication.

Any thoughts on this?  Barring any feedback, I will probably copy
messages with their translations so at least I'm not compounding the
work for message translation.

Thanks,

David