db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Message translation question
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:24:53 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Thanks, Andrew. Now let me compound the confusion: The Supported
> Territories section of the Derby Reference Manual lists some nine
> languages which Derby claims to support. A reasonable person might
> suppose this means that, if you use one of these locales, then you'll be
> able to understand your first syntax error rather than puzzling over a
> "Message ID not found" diagnostic.
>
> o Is the release coordinator responsible for rounding up translators for
> all nine languages?

No. If no-one has volunteered to translate new messages into, say
French, that so be it. It's exactly the same as if no-one had
volunteered to fix a (non show-stopper) bug. The release would go out
with the bug and similarly the release would go out with a few errors
that would display English text when in a French locale.

Maybe we could be more proactive and have a page (automatically
generated) that showed which messages had not been translated, thus
allowing volunteers to submit such translations.

> o Or might it be helpful to add some explanation to the Supported
> Territories section to adjust users' expectations? If so, what should we
> say? What distinguishes supported from unsupported locales?

I think supported means that a locale file exists, and unsupported means
it doesn't and you will get error messages in English.

Dan.