db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Bugs and 10.1.2 release
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:00:09 GMT
We are beginning to accumulate quite a bug backlog. There is a filter
available on Jira  that shows the current open bug backlog, "Derby open
code bugs".  Currently there are 108 bugs.

In order to avoid the mad dash at 10.2 release time and to make fixes
available to users, I was thinking it would be good to plan for a 10.1.2
release.

Here are my thoughts  for developers...

 1)  Pick a bug and fix it.
     Developers, look at the bug backlog and pick a bug
     you would like to fix and fix it  in the *trunk*.

 2)  Submit your patch for the trunk.
     Indicate if you would like the fix to go into the 10.1 branch.
     (Risky code changes or behavior change best stay in the trunk).

 3)  Merge the change to 10.1
     After you patch has been committed, if no one has objected
     to the patch going into 10.1, test your change on the 10.1 branch,
and submit either
          a) the svn command to integrate your change to 10.1
          b) a 10.1 patch if the merge was not automatic.

 4) Repeat 1-3 many times.

 5) Release.
    Have a vote for release in October or potentially sooner if
    we get a large number of fixes in the branch or there is a
    show stopper along the way.

Related  items:
I would  send a mail to derby-user to encourage folks to start voting
for issues that they would like fixed. This will help us prioritize the
bugs we want to fix.

 It would be great if we had more folks reviewing patches.  Ideally
fixes will have already been through one review by another developer
before a committer looks at it.

Thoughts ?

Kathey