db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: platforms where Derby unit tests must run
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:23:03 GMT
This situation could potentially improve as we migrate tests into an
assertion-based framework. It's an issue to keep in mind as we write
assertions.

This raises another interesting issue:

o What is a reasonable minimum test barrier for committers to apply when
approving a patch?

Is it enough for the committer to say: "Derbyall runs cleanly under
jdk1.4 on my machine." Should a scrupulous committer also run Derbyall
on J2ME? At this point there are 8+ vms where people expect the tests to
run. And there may be a couple dozen operating systems. Clearly we have
to draw some line between the committer's responsibility and the
responsibility of the platform users. What's the gold standard for
committing patches?

I'm a bit unclear on our process for arresting test drift across useful
platforms. Can someone point me at a description of what we do today?

Thanks,
-Rick